lunes, 19 de enero de 2015

Just a Maths exam or something more?

Today we have done the Maths exam, it was three hours. We have had a break of 10 minutes in the middle.
There were 14 exercises. They were not the kind of exercises that I was used to do last years. I liked Maths some years ago because it was easy for me. We learned some rules in class and I was used to do as many exercises as possible. Then, the exam was actually very similar to these exercises. For me, the exams were a formal way to show to the teacher that I was able to do the exercises. My Maths qualifications were an important motivation for me. I remember a concrete exam because in an exercise I confused a 6 and I wrote 9, so the final solution was wrong. At the end I had a 9 instead of a 10. For this reason I felt failed in that moment.
Today is quite different. I have had to reflect and use my abilities on the exam!! I also have learned during it. I was conscious of my feelings; I was feeling myself useful during the exam because the activities were not just Maths operations that a calculator of a computer can compute them. They were problems that needed a brain to be solved; my brain was working. We also have had to explain our reasoning, not just put the process and the final solution. It made me think further.
I really have had enjoy it because the activities were my motivation to continue. They were little challenges. I was not conscious at all of the time. I was actually immersed on the activities. They filled me. This is an example of one of the activities.
 
 
It is a completely different way of thinking. For me it is difficult, but this makes it more interesting. I do not mind my mark. It means nothing for me now. I might have done mistakes, it is normal and necessary. Maybe I also have confused numbers, but who cares?
As the song says: “Que me quiten lo bailao”
Laura Sanz
 
 
 

4 comentarios:

  1. It seems a really interesting exam. I was looking forward to know more about it....

    You reminded me this video http://ed.ted.com/featured/WAvfFeGw based on the same principle of prioritizing positive feedback instead of negative one. Or in other words preferring verifying to falsifying information.

    It is great this "confirmation bias" was part of your exam, to be reflected on. It was an interesting evidence for me to know about the work of my colleagues in the Faculty.

    Thanks for sharing it

    Alejandro

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I give you Pedro´s blog, maybe you are interested in http://masideas-menoscuentas.com/

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hola

    Gracias por el blog... no lo conocía... acabo de leerte... tiene buena pinta....

    Alejandro

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hola

    Gracias por el blog... no lo conocía... acabo de leerte... tiene buena pinta....

    Alejandro

    ResponderEliminar